Tuesday, May 28, 2024

What do you do on a holiday weekend after flying from Philly to Texas to Albuquerque


What do you do on a holiday weekend in Albuquerque while preparing for an 11-day, 4-country tour of Central America with the Archbishop of Canterbury?  Help a friend break a lot of concrete, dig trenches, and lay a foundation for a Casita (addition or mother-in-law quarters).  We crammed in two days from 4 a.m. to 6 p.m. and had a lot of good food.  Carne Adovada Burritos - ahh.  (Diocese of Pennsylvania, it does not change. I work unceasingly all the time).  

I have worked every labor job you can imagine - roofing, construction, tile, paving, landscaping, to name a few.  I started working for a living when I was 7 or 8, and it continues.   I am blessed that our Good Lord has given me excellent health (my doctor recently told me, "You make my job boring.")  I can still put in 12-15 hours of ministry or manual labor and keep up with those much younger. 

God also gave me a strong back, a never-quit-till-the-job-is-finished attitude, grit, determination, and the "you drop everything and always help someone out when they need it" spirit. Combine this with a deep knowing of who I am, familia, a grounding in my culture, and never forgetting where I come from and who helped me along the way.  I consider myself blessed.  

A working-class faith, church, strength, resilience, and approach to life.  One of the best compliments I received was after a visitation in Delco; a man approached me and said, "You are our blue-collar bishop."  I want to be remembered as such (and that I loved them). 

When someone asks what I do,  I tell them I am in the service industry and spend a lot of time working in the fields.  My boss is also an excellent carpenter, and I am an apprentice.  Que viva la vida.

As for the pictures, my favorite artists are the Great Three Mexican Muralists: José Clemente Orozco, Diego Rivera, and David Alfaro Siqueiros.  The always speak of the context; people, condition and the resilience.  The images are all Rivera, but of the three, I tend to lean toward Siqueiros.  I have included a picture at the end called "Caminantes."  On the Camino, it is all about the journey.


Beginning Friday, you can follow my trip with the Archbishop of Canterbury on this blog.  You will also be able to access through the Diocese of Pennsylvania:  Diocese of Pennsylvania

When I return from Central America, I will let you know what Jude is dragging me into (involves running in combat boots)


                                                                  Lola update 

A terror in beautiful motion

Oakley thinks, "Calgon, take me away" from Lola. 

David Alfaro Siqueiros "Caminantes"