Wednesday, June 05, 2024

Days 3 and 4. Migrant Center, St. Óscar Romero and Ignacio Ellacuría

The last two days were difficult to describe.  We spent yesterday at the Casa Myrna Mack, which is a respite center for migrants who are traveling through Guatemala. Founded by Jesuits and named after a migrant activist, Myrna Mack, who was martyred, the center is part of a network that also provides education and advocacy for migrants and offers programs to address the violence and displacement due to climate change, which are the main reasons people need to leave their home. 

There are no pictures, just a heart that was breaking listening to the stories of migrants from Venezuela who walked to Guatemala City with young children.  Looking into the eyes of the parents worried about their children and the long, uncertain, danger-filled journey ahead.  Looking into the eyes of the children, sensing they are far away from their homes, not understanding why, just reaching out seeking reassurance that everything will be alright.  We must be the church and embrace both parents and children.

Today, we once again began the day early.  I got up at five and walked the streets of San Salvador.  We then had a press conference on Climate Change and our blessing of a forest tomorrow attended by Archbishop Welby, Bishop Alvarado, and Bishop Julio Murray of Panama.  


We spent the day at the chapel where Saint Oscar Romero was murdered and sat in his room.  We then visited the Cathedral and met with the Roman Catholic Archbishop of San Salvador, José Luis Escobar Alas. I had the privilege of walking and talking with Cardinal Gregorio Rosa Chávez.  He was a close friend of St. Romero, served on his staff, and led the cause for the beatification of Monsignor Romero.  He held my hand as we walked around the Cathedral, and I asked him to bless my Virgin of Guadalupe medal that Jude and Suzanne gave me 25 years ago.  He laughed and said, “Eres Mexicano.”




Praying at St. Romero's tomb closed the circle. I represented the Episcopal Church at the Vatican when they made Oscar Romero a saint. This deeply reminded me of one of the reasons I wanted to be a priest. 





The afternoon was filled with emotion.  Fr. Ignacio Ellacuría has been the one who formed my personal theology.  He was one of the Jesuit Priests murdered at the UCA.  Many years ago, I wrote my Master’s Thesis on Fr. Ellacuría.  I have seen many pictures and read everything he has written. It seemed I knew the grounds where he lived and was brutally murdered along with Fr. Ignacio Martín-Baró, Fr. Amando López Quintana, Fr. Juan Ramón Moreno Pardo, Fr. Joaquín López y López, Fr. Segundo Montes Mozo, Elba Ramos and her daughter Celina.



I could not speak at times, but something shifted inside when we viewed his relics, especially his books, pens, and glasses.  To stand in the place where he thought, reflected, prayed, and composed.  To think this is where the words left his hand and were placed straight into my heart; I was surrounded by his presence.