St. Patrick and Psalm 121


Today is likely going to be the strangest and most creative celebration of the beloved St. Patrick.  However, it is also an opportunity for us to learn about his faith and why this day is sacred.   After being captured during a raiding party and taken to Ireland as a slave, Patrick turned to God.  In his Confessio, Patrick wrote that during this period of darkness:

"The love of God a grew in me more and more, as did the faith, and my soul was rosed, so that, in a single day, I have said as many as a hundred prayers and in the night, nearly the same. I prayed in the woods and on the mountain, even before dawn. I felt no hurt from the snow or ice or rain."

During times of crisis, fear, worry, and isolation, where do we turn?  I lift up my eyes to the hills
from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.
I can imagine that during his captivity, Patrick was alone, afraid, and believed his captivity was eternal.  He turned to the Lord, and instead of despair, grief, darkness, and hopelessness, he found refuge, deliverance, safety, and comfort.

Let us remember that even in the darkest places, God is always there.  God is leading us, protecting us, and fulfilling the divine promise to be with us at all times.  When all things are impossible, we have the God of unlimited possibilities.  Patrick, in the days of deepest darkness, prayed, trusted, and was able to show Christ to a fearful and unbelieving world.  Patrick even drove out the snakes of sin and "pestilence" and proclaimed:

"Christ be within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ inquired, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger."

This is a beautiful and holy day; let us rejoice.  I ask that during your time of prayer throughout the day, you pray this Psalm in honor of St. Patrick:

Psalm 121

Assurance of God’s Protection
A Song of Ascents.
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
   from where will my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
   who made heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot be moved;
   he who keeps you will not slumber.
He who keeps Israel
   will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord is your keeper;
   the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
   nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all evil;
   he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
   your going out and your coming in
   from this time on and for evermore.

Photo by KAL VISUALS on Unsplash