Blessed Assurance. Jesus is mine




I mentioned last week that while I was at Church of St. Luke and the Epiphany, the choir director played one of my favorite old hymns.  Each time I hear the words of Blessed Assurance, my breath is taken away.  There is something about music; it speaks to our hearts.  Those words:

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;

A simple song to remind me of the beauty of Jesus Christ.  Jesus is there, but where am I?   In my readings today I was once again reminded that it is a relationship.  Brennan Manning writes “Apart from Him I can do nothing.  But it is a relationship.  Christ will not sanctify me against my will.    Obedience to the Word, the habit of constant prayer, the daily practice of Christian virtue, require active collaboration on my part.

It is a relationship.  Despite our failures, pain and unceasing doubts.  Along with our joys, laughter, and love - Jesus is mine, and this is our song. Today, I remember the hope of:

Perfect submission, all is at rest!
I in my Savior am happy and blessed,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.