Breaking open and sharing the peace

Hope!

We have hope because we have Jesus Christ. Let us share that hope with the rest of the world. Good and blessed day, my dear family. All will be well as God is here, and Jesus Christ is journeying with each one of us through this journey. There is also the joy that we journey together through this pilgrimage of faith. We are in this together, and our love will only be strengthened. Please know that I am blessed to walk with you, and I hold each of your names in prayer and uplift each of your comments.  

As I mentioned yesterday, I will share mediations throughout the week. On Friday and Saturday, we will break open and share the peace with one another. Yesterday, I asked that we share prayers, quotes, and scriptural passages. Start collecting for next Friday. Today, let us share pictures that are sustaining us, those pictures that give us hope and peace. Photos that are essential to our faith. Be creative, and don't worry about the quality. If you are so moved, say something about the picture and why it is sustaining to you.  I ask that you share these pictures on this post and then share the images throughout your vast social network. Let's tag them #sharingthepeace.

I am sharing pictures that represent those things that always bring a sense of peace in my life.

The first picture:  Jesus Christ.  I love the images of the Good Shepherd.


The second picture speaks to my faith. The image is of a retablo. They are the ancient New Mexican form of depicting the saints when New Mexico was an isolated outpost detached from the church and the rest of society. This one is Santo Nino de Atocha, which is a depiction of the Child Jesus made by Jose Rafael Aragon in the 18th Century. It is now worth thousands, but it's meaning is priceless. My grandmother used to have a similar retablo in her home. She was foundational to my faith and would always tell me that despite all the worry, problems, and obstacles - Don't worry, God will take care of us. I hear her voice every day, telling me the same thing.


The third picture is of the first time Suzanne held Jude. Many might know that both Suzanne and Jude almost died during his birth. Suzanne was in critical condition for two weeks and did not seem him during this time. This was the first time that I brought him down, and she held him. I cannot say the joy and emotion at that moment. I keep this picture in my wallet. I would write more about this moment; however, I do not think I can continue because of the tears.


The fourth picture is of my time among you in this diocese. I wish I could post a picture of each visitation and each interaction. I love each one of you, and I cannot imagine my ministry without you. In fact, it is now difficult to remember a ministry without you. Thus, this picture is of the date of my ordination as Bishop. This year is the beginning of year 5. Yes, onward to the future filled with hope, love, and Jesus Christ.


The fifth picture speaks to my ministry serving God's beloved. Baptism. Need I say more.


Picture # 6 is of my dog Brooklyn. I have been blessed with dogs throughout my life. I held them when I am in tears, run with them when I experienced nature, and they have brought me to fits of laughter with their antics. Those animals in which I have journeyed have never left my side. Brooklyn is a character and with a mind of her own. If she does not want to do something, she won't. Yet, her deep loyalty and love touch my life.


Finally, I always save pictures that speak to the goodness of humanity. God has placed something in our DNA, and it is goodness. It is one of the key ingredients to understanding love. The love of God and the love of one another. Despite the displays of hate and cruelty, I know that goodness will always overcome the darkness. I would rather be broken than not believe. This is from a local Pennsylvania photographer Steven McMurray (lives within our diocese) and he is internationally recognized.


Share your pictures, I want to know your life, your hope, and dreams. Let us share the peace that is in our lives. In doing so, we share the peace with one another. In this time, when we cannot embrace, let us share the peace in this way. I encourage you to log on to all the on-line prayers today and pray with your friends and church. Tomorrow, have all your friends and family join your diocesan family on-line. Let's set some records for attendance and have our prayers and worship touch the world.  My diocesan family, I am deeply grateful for you.  You inspire me with your faith, joy, resilience, hope and love.  We have the Good News.  We have one another.  We have Jesus Christ.  Nothing will deter, detract, isolate or stop us on this holy pilgrimage together.  

You are blessed, beloved and beautiful.  Stay strong, stay well.  Check on one another and take care of one another.  We are family. I pray for you and please pray for me. God bless you.